Tuesday, June 13, 2006

On Using Reference


I use reference for some of the images you have seen here and in some of my other works. I find it helps me to remember the land marks of the body. I tend to take my own reference shots so I have no worries there. But others I get from other media. Such as books, magazines, newspapers...etc. But I have a general rule of thumb with the images I get from the media. I believe they have to modified by at least seven different things. These can be large and small changes. I like to change more if the image "calls for it". By which I mean the story of the image compels me to change things.
I love using reference in sketches because it helps me to keep grounded in the anatomy of he figures and familiar with the way the shapes move in space. But this does not mean I only draw from said reference. I add quite a bit to my sketches to make the story more compelling. Much in the same vain as Dean Cornwell, N.C. Wyeth, Gil Elvgren, J.C. Leyendecker, and all the classic illustrators. Now if only I can get as good as those guys and gals.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ah, you goy really serious on the explination for this one, I guess you really do know what you are talking about.